Saturday, November 1, 2008

I've been tagged










Yikes! I've been tagged! My wonderful friend Wendy has tagged me and wants me to post my 6 favorite things in my kitchen!

When we were shopping around for a home about 2 1/2 years ago, our main concern was that we had to have 4 full bedrooms (of course everybody wanted their own. Jerome and I were the only ones willing to share at the time & Sam was just to little to say his two goo's worth.), 2 or more bathrooms (with 4 growing children I HAD to have tons of those!). A huge, fenced in backyard, with a beautiful place to garden. A schoolroom would have been ideal, but a closet would do. Perfect driveway to ride bikes in and neighbors that were tops! Of course the kids want the "P" word, a pool and and and and .....

The kitchen was important, but I didn't realize how important. As we, a crew of 6, walked through, played through, tried out all the seats (I do mean potties, Sarah was potty training at the time and the urge always hit her about the time we turned the key to the home that we came to tour......

Anyway the kitchen just needed to be big enough, updated and ample cabinets. We can paint, replace flooring...maybe even add cabinets.

Well, in our search for the perfect home, the one thing that wasn't a challenge, became a challenge. The kitchen. We were given a LARGE table that would seat the six of us plus a few more. It is a chunky, stable table. Not delicate to say the least. We now needed a LARGE eating area to hold our beloved table. We wouldn't dare part with the table, so we had to find a kitchen that would fit around the table!

So, one of my favorite things in my kitchen is my enormous table.

Here you see my two youngest sitting upon it with their newest fall creation. An Apple Sauce Cake. ( I told you it was sturdy!)


My second favorite thing is hanging on the wall of the only kitchen that would fit around my table that I couldn't do without. It is a platter that I made with my friend Heather last Christmas. It has all my children's hands painted on it and I will keep it as a reminder of all the little hand prints that are all over my home. Oh, how fast they do grow up!

My third favorite thing is "Girl Food!" Wendy and I satin the kitchen that went around the beloved table that I couldn't do without, a few weeks ago and talked for hours. If you're wondering what that stuff is, well, it's cream cheese and salsa! Oh, Ladies it is so GOOOOOOD!
The next thing that I love, really keeps my house in running order. It cuts down on arguing, confusion and bickering. Not to mention the whining! So, the next thing that tops my list of faves is my Chore Chart and Grumpy Day Chart. They go hand in hand. Chore Chart tells everyone what they are to do for the day. We are a family that goes with the flow. We are not a "do the same thing everyday" kind of family. Now, we do have our "Dailies" listed on every ones' chart, but there are just some chores that no one wants to do. So, we swap out. If someone gets up grumpy and decides that they want to whine about a job, they are referred to the Grumpy Chart. This is where Mom, Me, gets to add another chore (that just never seems to get done) to their list of things to do that day. It also has many verses about good work habits and "if you don't work, you don't eat" verse. No, my children do get to eat. However, that little extra chore really has cut down on the whole whining thing.
Oh, the charts are on the fridge, that is in the kitchen, that is around the table that we couldn't do without.

Next on my list of faves is: my stainless steal pots. They look beautiful and cook things great! They are a treasure to my kitchen, that goes around my table that we couldn't do without!

Am I almost done?

The next item on the list is pretty awesome! My children loooove
to take out the trash. I'm never sure if it is to get out of the house for awhile or a desire to get the chore done. I'm guessing the first! So, my favorite thing is whoever takes out the trash! Right now it is on Chloe's chart. Nate was available for the pic!
So, the trash taker outer eats, cleans, plays and works in the kitchen that goes around the table that I couldn't do without!

The Last and Final thing on my list of faves is


a JUST MOPPED KITCHEN FLOOR!

Wow that feels so good! No grit, no sticky, no "Hey, what's that?" no chips, cookie, grapes, bread crust, dirt, play dough, crayons. Just one beautiful squeaky clean floor!
The floor is the backdrop for the kitchen that goes around the table that we couldn't do without!

Who ever designed this kitchen did an excellent job. It is not immaculate but great to use. I have white cabinets that cheer up the place. A floor that pretty much hides most dirt to any unsuspecting visitor and is always welcoming friends over for coffee and girl food!
I love my kitchen.




2 comments:

MamaHen said...

Loved the cream cheese and salsa and loved the company! Thanks for showing us your kitchen.

Anonymous said...

I love your kitchen, too!