Sunday, March 8, 2009

Growing Pains

We had a good day today. Very long, but good.
Y'all have a good night.
A thought to share:

No discipline seems enjoyable at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it yields the fruit of peace and righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11

I hope to be on the peace and righteousness side one day. Have you ever read Hebrews. This has been by far the hardest book that I have ever studied. I have struggled through it, cried through (that's the discipline part that hurts) it and soon I hope to be enjoying the peace and righteousness.

Just when you think you might have a handle on a smidgen of the concept of how to be Christ like, God will transform your thinking. He will show you something knew when you ask. I so want to please Him. To have him say "My good and faithful servant." I was reading Hebrews 11 about the righteous that have pleased God like Abel and his sacrifices made in faith (4), Enoch who did not experience death (5), Noah, Abraham, & Sarah all faithful followers. They obeyed instantly when He told them to do something. No questions, no hesitation. Just did it. They must have been wearing Nike's. They just did it.

They never really got to see the promise land. They were seeking a new home. The one God has prepared. Verse 16 is beautiful, and encouraging to me: "But they (those who are searching for a homeland, to be with Him) now aspire to a better land- a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God,( that means me too and you) for He has prepared a city for them (us!)." Did you know He has made a place for you in that city. He loves you and so wants you to be there.
And remember, God has arranged my days to where I am receiving Hebrews not only at Bible study, but in small group and in church. Everything is revolving around God transforming me to be more like him. I feel as if I'm rambling, but God is so mushing and molding me yesterday, today, and days to come. I can feel that pain. It's not a horrible pain of change, but more of a embarrassed, coming to knowledge of what I am lacking to be more like him. I have so far to go.

I search for reassurance. I seek his grace. I turn to Lamentations 3:22-23:
"{Because of} the Lord's faithful love we do not perish, for His mercies never end. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." Did you notice the Your is capitalized? That is talking about His faithfulness. He is faithful to us! He loves us so much, not "just enough", but SO MUCH that He is faithful when we are not. Amazing isn't it.

Which brings me to another wonderful verse: Ps. 100:4-5. "Give thanks to Him and praise His name. For the Lord is good, and His love is eternal; His faithfulness endures through all generations." Did you get that? That His love is eternal. Do you know how long eternal is? FOREVER! Yes, even when we are bad by saying something snide, yelling at the children, speeding! Or even worse. And forever. Does that mean that it is okay to do wrong or sin? No, because sin pushes us away from Christ. And that is not what He wants nor what we want. We desire to be pulled close to the Lord. So we seek him.

So, as I am ("You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13) seeking, you seek with me. Ask God to show you where you need to draw closer to Him. What sin is in your life keeping you separate from Him? Is it your short temper? bad language? pride? selfishness? worry? being impatient with a loved one? not wanting to wait on God's timing-pushing ahead and doing your own thing? I love this verse: "Yet Lord, You are our Father; we are the clay, and You are our potter; we all are the work of Your hands." Isaiah 64:8. I so gladly turn my life over to the potter. Right now, I am just a clump of clay. No shape. No beauty. But in his hands imagine what He will do with me. And you!

2 comments:

MamaHen said...

Wonderful post Corla. I needed that this morning.

Anonymous said...

Hey Corla! I read in the previous post about the curriculum. I wanted to tell you we are doing Sequential Spelling with MG and J. I really like it. However, it will probably be a little bit before I could see the "real" results and officially recommend it. MG is finally spelling, and J is getting a good focused approach! Yippee!!!